Thursday, February 16, 2006

Define Normal

It seems every family member over the age of 35 has a series of anecdotes to share. It's their way of imparting wisdom. My Aunt is very fond of teaching the lessons of 'be happy with who you are' and 'be careful what you wish for'.

"When I was younger, we visited with our Grandma a lot. I thought she was the greatest lady. She would tell stories, and play games with us, and was not afraid to say what was on her mind. I wished I could be just like her. I even prayed to God to let me grow up to be just like her."

Then she would point to her chest and say "And he did. 44DDDs. How she ever fit these things in those old-fashioned girdles is beyond me. When they say be careful what you wish for, they aren't joking."

Floridian pearls of wisdom. I think Aesop is safe.

When I was younger, through high school even, I wished to be normal. That's all I wanted, to be completely average. My family was so crazy, such a tv movie-of-the-week waiting to happen, I could think of no higher compliment than to be average. I often threatened my family with plans of turning their sordid lives into a bestseller, until I realized Jackie Collins, Sidney Sheldon and VC Andrews already had.

Of course, as with every wish, there are loopholes. You gotta be real specific. After all, what is normal?

I guess my lesson learned was simple.
And so easily transferred to a t-shirt.

3 Comments:

At 2/16/2006 12:04 PM, Blogger Kato said...

Normal's no fun. Slightly abnormal--now that's fun.

 
At 2/16/2006 1:30 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Now that's my kind of shirt! :-)

Tanya

 
At 2/16/2006 2:48 PM, Blogger Paulius said...

People who are completely normal are just weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home