Monday, January 30, 2006

One, Two, Cha Cha Cha

My love affair with "Dancing With the Stars" has only grown stronger this season. Although I question their definition of a star. How many of these names were truly familiar to you before the season started:
Lisa Rinna, George Hamilton, Giselle Fernandez, P Miller, Tia Carrere, Kenny Mayne, Tatum O'Neal, Stacy Keibler, Drew Lachey, and Jerry Rice

I scored 5 1/2 out of a possible 10.
Once they said Master P, I claimed the extra half point.

And yes, I'm making the assumption that you are watching the show because I consider you all to be enlightened individuals and how can you hearts not beat in a syncopated rhythm with each performance?

It's the show that makes me think, "I can do that" and then actually try to during commercials. "Skating With Celebrities" has a similar impact, but the old socks-on-the-kitchen-floor attempts fall a little flat. I've got bruises. The thing is, I think I could learn to dance, but inhibitions won't let me. What's up with that?

So, after disks 3-6 of House: Season 1, my Netflix que includes Ballroom Dancing Basics, Salsa Dancing Guide for Beginners, and CardioSalsa. Unfortunately there isn't a large selection of dance instructionals available, but maybe it's enough to cure my curiosity.

Anybody wanna cha-cha with me?

2 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 9:52 AM, Blogger MC Etcher said...

Allow me to be the first in line!!

 
At 1/31/2006 10:00 AM, Blogger Frange said...

Cool dancing scenes in movies, which are often made to seem extempore but are of course vigorously rehearsed, have definitely made me think once or twice that knowing what I'm doing on the dance floor might not be a bad idea.

(Though, to my credit, I can dance, but I do it for comedic purposes. I can do a mean Cosby dance, my Robot isn't half bad, and I had to learn the Thriller dance for my theater company's mockumentary, "PHLAME": Passionate Heterosexual Lovers of the American Musical Experience; where men's men put on "Beat It" the Michael Jackson Musical)

What's turned me off from ballroom dancing is the fact that it's not only recommended, but actually required for male competitors to wear way-too-tight, high-waisted pants and a shirt/jacket that contains one or more of the following: meatloaf-style frills, seinfeld-style poofs, figure-skating-style sequins, bad-cowboy-style embroidered flowers, or Saturday Night Fever-style unnecessarily large collars.

Female competitors are also required to wear blindingly shiny hoochie-mama dresses with similarly silly accoutrements; and both genders must wear approximately 300% more makeup than normal.

This makes male competitors look like women who wear too much makeup, and makes female competitors look like the Wicked Witch of the West.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home