Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tick Tick Boom

The voices in my head (some writers call them characters) have gone radio-silent, so now I'm focusing on the beeping. This beeping should not be confused with the buzzing, which I've decided is my brain's homebrewed white noise.

I thought it was contagious. Even my coworkers can hear it, but they say it doesn't bother them, that they only hear it at work, usually near my desk. Or wherever else I'm standing.

Everybody got a raise this year, so I ruled out bomb. Plus it's an ongoing intrusion, not a one-time-only deal. Low-battery warning? What happens if I forget to replace them?

And then tonight I was reading Dooce. Leta's Monthly Newsletter. The lightbulb went on. That beeping noise? It's the alarm on my biological clock going off. Way more annoying than ticking, the beeping is loud, demanding, impatient.

I slapped the snooze button. I always set my alarm early; I love the illusion of extra time.

1 Comments:

At 2/07/2006 8:00 AM, Blogger Frange said...

So, if the beeping is the ticking.. dare I ask what the "boom" might be?

Anyways, since I don't have ovaries...

I am also a proud practitioner of the snoozing arts. I've done the "set the clock ahead an hour" trick, I've done the "write a note to myself and put it on my alarm clock" trick, and oh how I've done the "snooze eleventy-billion times" trick.

My latest and greatest is the following: I set my alarm for an hour before I would normally set it for snoozage, so I can get up, reset the alarm for an hour later, go back to bed for a whole hour, and THEN start snoozing.

When it's all over I feel like I've pulled a chronological con job; it's fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home